Monday, November 24, 2008

A cozy Sunday

First let me welcome you to my blog. I promise that this will get better with time.

I have been on the go for the past few weekends and was excited to spend some time at home with my husband and kitties. What better comfort food than tomato soup and bread on a cold Maine night?!

The Samoset Resort in Rockport makes this killer creamy tomato soup that I thought I could replicate. I found this recipe on Epicurious and while something was just a bit different from the soup at the Samoset this soup hit the spot. I halved the recipe since I'm feeding two people and added a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on the top. Also, I'm too lazy to go from the pot to the food processor to the pot so I used my immersion blender which worked wonderfully. I didn't want the soup to be too smooth as I like some chunks of tomato in there. The recipe says that you can taste a hint of clove but I didn't get that even though I added more than the recipe called for.

Creamy Tomato Soup
Parade 2000
Serves 6-8

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups Fresh Vegetable Broth
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half-and-half

1. Melt the butter with the oil over low heat in a pot.
2. Add the onion; wilt over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Season with cloves, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Purée the soup in a food processor. Pour through a strainer into a pot. Stir in the half-and-half.
5. Warm the soup before serving.

The bread recipe is one that is very special to me. I remember my mother making this very light bread often. You mix the ingredients in the bowl you allow it to rise in. No kneading. Very easy!

One Loaf White Yeast Bread

1 ¼ Warm Water
1 Pkg. Yeast
2 Tbls Shortening Or Oil
Salt
2 Tbls Sugar
3 Cups Unsifted Flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, salt, sugar. Stir in half of the flour. Stir until smooth. Stir in the rest of the flour. Cover and let rise 1 hour. Stir a bit and pour into a very greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise about an hour. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and finish cooking for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brianne,
Thank you for inviting me into your kitchen. You've put together an impressive site--the pictures look super, your narrative is interesting and your recipes caught my eye. Keep it up, and maybe I will see you in your own place yet! I sure wish that for you.

Guess who....