Monday, June 8, 2009

Snacktime (Taralli)

Don't be jealous of my snack.


OK. Go ahead and be jealous because if the tables were reversed I would be so very jealous.

Bing cherries, Italian fennel and pepper biscuits (taralli recipe below), and sun tea.

I sat in one of our Adirondack chairs enjoying the sunshine (with my SPF 45 on) and watched Boyd try to catch the chipmunk. I swear this will be the year he catches it. Boy does it wear him out though.

Have you ever made sun tea before? My mother used to make it ALL the time in huge pitchers. I make mine in a mason jar and it serves me about twice. I just stick a couple tea bags in some water...set it in the sun...wait a few hours...sweetened or unsweetened it is so good and reminds me of my childhood.


Taralli
Source: Pepsakoy Blog
Yield: about 20

2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

1.Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Mix the flour, salt, fennel seed and pepper in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add yeast, wine and oil. Blend together and gradually incorporate into flour then knead for 10 minutes.

2.Place the dough in oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.Preheat oven to 375ยบ.

3.Break off small pieces of dough and roll into ropes about 6 inches long.Form a ring and pinch edges together.Place on baking sheet and let rise 20 minutes.

4.Fill a large saucepan half full of water; bring to a boil. Drop taralli into water and boil for 1 minute. Remove from water, letting both sides dry on a sheet of waxed paper. Brush with oil and bake 25-30 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet, turning a few times during baking until medium brown and crisp.

No comments: