Monday, April 20, 2009

Twilight Cupcakes

Team Jacob!!

I was all for Edward until I finished New Moon. I haven't started the third book yet so don't give me any spoilers! (I looked back at this after a minute and rolled my eyes at myself. Am I a tween??)

I Googled "Twilight Cupcakes" to see what came up and there were these super cute ones with different sayings. One said, "Bella is my homegirl." I thought that was hilarious. I saw these on Annie's Eats and decided to make them for our staff meeting at MMSA tomorrow. In my opinion these cupcakes are more for show than for devine taste. They are good but definitely not one of my favorites.

I included a photo of a topless (!!!) cupcake so you could see what the cone should look like. I then cut the tip off to create a cap to put over the filling. Becareful not to add too much filling. I did on a few and it spilled over the side while frosting and it looked more like a massacre than the bite of a vampire.



Twilight Cupcakes
Source: Annie's Eats
Yield: 16 cupcakes

2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

1 can cherry pie filling

7 oz. pure white chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 14 cups of muffin tins with paper liners. In a small bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with a fork. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the egg whites one at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add in the dry ingredients in three additions alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined, being careful not to overmix.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.

To prepare the filling, puree the can of cherry pie filling using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor.

Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, cut a cone out of the center of each using a small paring knife. Cut off the point side of each cone, leaving a thin disc of cake to replace over the filling. Spoon just enough of the cherry filling into the hole to fill it, and cover by replacing the disc of cake on top. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.

To prepare the frosting, in a double boiler, melt the white chocolate, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy. Let stand until just warm to the touch. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until smooth and blended. Add the melted chocolate and beat again until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes immediately. Using a bamboo skewer dipped in the left over cherry filling, poke two holes into the top of each cupcake to resemble bite marks. Trace a line of cherry filling from each hole to the edge of the cupcake to resemble dripping blood. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.

2 comments:

Kacey said...

All I have to say is this: I want you to think back...think back to the time when I told you and Seth that I read all the Twilight books.

P.S. The tween in ME loves these.

Jennifer said...

I am in the EXACT same point in the series. And I've been rooting for Jacob, too, especially due to the movie in which I found Edward to be not so attractive and Jacob adorable.

The one thing I have an issue with is the whole "unconditional love" aspect of Bella and Edwards romance. It's really not a good lesson for teenage girls!