Sunday, March 14, 2010

Molasses Glazed Walnut Scones

I've been eyeing this scone recipe for a few months now. I've never made scones and really...I didn't think I even liked them. Something about this recipe sounded really good. I think it was the glaze!

I didn't have any pecans so I used walnuts instead. I feel like you could even use almonds. Also, I didn't have maple extract so I used a tablespoon or so of real maple syrup. I had just put the scones in the oven to bake when I noticed that I forgot to put in the sugar. DUH! It was too late and I figured when they came out they would be duds.

Nope! They were awesome. The glaze adds so much to them and made up for the fact that I forgot the sugar! The egg yolks make for a soft scone instead of one that easily falls apart. I will definitely make these again...with the sugar!

Molasses Glazed Walnut Scones
Source: Bon Appetit
Yield: 8 scones

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup pecans, toasted, broken into pieces
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon maple extract (I used maple syrup!)

2 tablespoons whipping cream (I used skim milk)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon mild-flavored (light) molasses

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Combine flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl; whisk to blend. Add 6 tablespoons butter; using fingertips, rub in until butter is reduced to pea-size pieces. Mix in pecans. Whisk buttermilk, egg yolks, and extract in medium bowl. Add to flour mixture. Toss with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps. Gather dough into ball. Press dough out on lightly floured surface to 8-inch round; cut into 6-8 wedges.

Arrange wedges 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 16 minutes; transfer to rack.

Whisk remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, and cream in heavy small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in powdered sugar and molasses. Spread glaze over warm scones. Let stand until glaze sets, at least 30 minutes. (Who can wait 30 minutes????)

No comments: