Monday, April 26, 2010

Ebelskivers

Are you still there? Are you still speaking to me? I understand if not.

Sometimes life gets in the way of blogging. You know what I mean??

Can I win you back with some delightful filled pancakes also known as ebelskivers? Oh, did I notice you perk up a bit? How about that I filled half with jam and half with a Nutella buttercream? Yes? OK. Good.

My sister bought me this fancy little pan for my birthday and I just adore it. It is so easy to use. The batter is really thin but it gives you a very light and fluffy "pancake" to fill. I used strawberry jam for a few and then made a delicious filling of Nutella, butter, and cream. FABULOUS!! These were gone in no time!



Ebelskivers
Source: Williams Sonoma
Yield: A ton

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1 cup seedless berry jam
4 cups all-purpose flour
5 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
About 5 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted

In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. Transfer to a mesh sugar shaker. Fit a pastry bag with a plain round tip and fill with the jam. Set aside.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.

Put 1/4 tsp. butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour 2 Tbs. of the batter into each well. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Using 2 wooden skewers, turn the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Using the tip of the pastry bag, pierce one side of each pancake and pipe jam into the center. Dust the pancakes with the confectioners' sugar mixture and serve immediately. Makes 55 pancakes.

2 comments:

Marthe said...

Your Ebelskiver look delicious!! I made Poffertjes, a Dutch (unfilled) version a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing! Your pictures are great too!