Monday, July 25, 2011

Gnocchi with Summer Veggies

This is one of my favorite recipes and this is the perfect time of year to make it. I'm really surprised that I haven't blogged this before. It is super simple and it is so easy to get the ingredients fresh from the market. In the past few years I've been able to go out in the back yard and just pick the veggies and basil to make this recipe. I've frozen the base for this and it worked out really well too.

This year I made it and blended a bit for Abe. He loved it!


Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
Source: Martha Stewart
Yield: 4 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 zucchini or summer squash, or one of each (about 2 pounds total), quartered and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 package (15 to 16 ounces) frozen gnocchi
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1.In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 2 minutes.

2.Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid, drain gnocchi and transfer to skillet. Toss gnocchi, adding enough cooking liquid to create a sauce. Remove from heat and stir in basil, cheese, butter, and lemon juice.

1 comment:

Pink Daisys Blog Spot said...

WOW I just found your blog and I LOVE it! Now at almost midnight I want cupcakes, lol.. I had to forward this onto my neice, she is taking a baking and decorating class for cupcakes. She already has us all spoiled with making it all from scratch.. but She will love your blog.. Thanks for all the Tasty recipes.. Can't wait to make some of these. Mechelle