Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When I ROLLED into your hometown...

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm always on the look out for this certain kind of roll similar to that at the Governor's Restaurant in Maine. These rolls were the closest that I have come thus far. The dough was more stretchy than most rolls that I make. The recipe calls for "fermented dough" which is just a hunk of dough that is left in the fridge for 24 or so hours. I loved the smell of the fermented dough, very similar to sourdough (an upcoming personal challenge).




The day after I made these rolls we had breakfast for supper which is very popular at our house. I grilled the rolls and topped them with eggs (his scrambled and mine over medium) and Irish cheddar cheese. Delicious.


Delicate Butter Bread
The Easy Way to Artisan Breads & Pastries by Avner Laskin
Yield 2 loaves or about 10 rolls

1 cup water
4 t. dry yeast
1/3 cup butter at room temp
1 1/4 pounds fermented bread dough
3 cups bread flour
2 t. salt
1 egg, beaten with 2 T cold milk for brushing the tops

Use mixer to mix water, yeast, butter, dough, and flour on low for 3 minutes. Add salt and beat or knead for 10 minutes. Cover and let rise one hour.

Divide dough into 2 equal parts and then into 5 pieces. Roll each piece into ball. Use 5 balls to make a line and pinch dough to fasten. Brush with egg mixture and let rise 1 hour.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 35 minutes.

No comments: