Saturday, March 7, 2009

Creamy Tomato Alphabet Soup

SUCCESS! I've made quite a few tomato soups looking for one that was just right (at least to my palate). Some have been too runny. Some too bland. Some with too much tomato. This time I was going to do it right. I wasn't going to follow a recipe.

I'm lucky enough to have some basil and thyme growing in a pot in my upstairs where it is warm. These two are a must in tomato soup. Another must, cream. I like my tomato soup a bit creamy and thick. I also like some sort of noodle in my soup and chose alphabets for their size. Not too much noodle to take away from the tomato.

I served this to my lady friends with a grilled cheese on Sesame Semolina Bread.



Creamy Tomato Alphabet Soup
Source: ME!
Yield: 6 servings

1 onion
3 cloves minced garlic
2 T butter
2 T EVOO
3 T flour
2 can vegetable broth
1 big can crushed tomatoes
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 heaping spoon tomato paste
1 t sugar
Basil
Thyme
1/2 cup cream
1 cup alphabet noodles

Melt butter and EVOO over medium high heat. Add onions and saute 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour cooking 2 more minutes. Stir in broth, all tomatoes, paste, sugar, herbs, and season with S&P. Allow to simmer. About 20 minutes before serving add cream and noodle.


*I made mine in the crock pot

No comments: