Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

My friends...I'm so sorry that I allowed my blog to go with out an update for so long. Sometimes life gets turned upside down and all around and in the last two weeks...mine has been upside down, on it's side, upright, and crumbling at times. BUT I have been through worse and this is just a bump...or two...or three all at once. (Can we get some road repair?)

I've been dying to make a strawberry rhubarb pie. I was going to make one for the people in my office but I thought about how much I love making pie, how much people appear to like my pies, and those people aren't worth it. (is that mean?)

I waited until my sister and niece were here visiting to make this pie for a BBQ at my father's house. Not only was my sister home but my dad's girlfriend's daughters were home. One home from her first year at UNH and one home from a year abroad in Thailand. Now these are people that deserve my pie!!

Rhubarb fresh from the garden.




Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Source: Keep Cooking the Maine Way
Yield: One pie

3 cups diced, fresh rhubarb
10 oz. strawberries
3 T. minute tapioca
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. melted butter
Double pie crust

Mix all ingredients but butter together. Allow to stand for 15 minutes. During this time prepare the bottom crust and brush with half of the melted butter. Fill with the rhubarb mixture and drizzle the remaining butter over the top. Top with crust. Bake at 425 for 35 minutes and then lower heat to 325 for 15 minutes more.

No comments: