Sunday, May 17, 2009

Charred Corn Guac

I started making this recipe for gatherings a few years ago. I'm not a fan of Bobby Flay but I happened to be watching his show and saw this. Every time I make it people rave. Most recently I made it for a small group of friends at my home. People would take a bite and try to dissect it to figure out what was in there. I love that!!

In the winter time I use canned corn but it is best made with charred corn on the grill. I cook it in the husk to retain the moisture and then char the outside quickly for some color. This is definitely one of my favorite summertime salads.


Charred Corn Guacamole
Source: Food Network
Yield: 4 servings

2 ears corn
4 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 serrano chile, finely diced
1 small red onion finely diced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
corn chips, as accompaniment

Heat the grill to high.
Remove the husks from the grilled corn and discard. Brush the ears of corn with 2 tablespoons of the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the ears until the kernels are lightly golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the kernels from the ears.

Place the avocado in a medium bowl. Add the corn, serrano, onion, lime juice, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, cilantro and salt and pepper and gently stir to combine. Serve with fried corn chips or warm flour tortillas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a delicious twist on an old standby!

Kacey said...

I love this!!!