Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pumpkin Oatmeal

This has been on my "to make" list for a few weeks. Sunday was the perfect time to make this. Seth wanted eggs before going to work and I figured I could quarter this to feed just me. It worked out perfectly and took just a few minutes to whip up.

This was AWESOME. I used walnuts instead of pecans and loved the crunch. I added quite a bit of milk once it was done...I like milky oatmeal. I am definitely going to be making this more often. This would also be great for little ones. Nix the nuts, use raw organic sugar or no sugar, add some raisins. Great source of vitamin A, fiber, and folic acid!

Pumpkin Oatmeal
Source: Craftzine
Yield: 4

1 cup old fashioned oats not quick cook
1 Tbs whole flax seeds (optional)
2½ Tbs brown sugar, packed
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
⅛ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp lemon zest (I didn't use this)
2 tsp butter, softened
¾ cup pumpkin puree
¾ cup milk

Topping:
¼ cup pecans, chopped (I used walnuts)
2 tsp butter, softened
1 Tbs brown sugar

Directions
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 4 individual-sized ramekins. Set aside.

Step 2: Combine the oats, flax seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Stir well.

Step 3: Zest the lemon.

Step 4: In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, lemon zest, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oat mixture. Stir until combined.

Step 5: Divide the mixture evenly between 4 individual-sized ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.

Step 6: Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide the topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake an additional 7 minutes.

Step 7: Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with a splash of milk and raisins, if desired.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks yummy and perfect for these chilly mornings. I've been adding 1/4c of pumpking to my 2/3c serving of oatmeal every day, too. Just a little pumpkin pie spice and reduced calorie syrup. Sometimes I chop up a few almonds, too. So good! I'll have to try this recipe as well.

Brooke said...

This sounds tasty! I'll be saving this for when it gets a bit chillier outside.

Kacey said...

I haven't had this since you made it for me last, and I've been craving it lately. But, APPARENTLY you can't buy canned pumpkin (puree) in Florida until deep into the fall season. WTF South! And since it's still in the 90's, I don't see that happening any time soon.

So basically that only means one thing. You probably need to visit me (with some pumpkin of course)!