Sunday, November 22, 2009

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

I like Mexican food. I was never a big fan. I'm not sure what happened, maybe my taste buds changed, maybe it was my husband's influence, maybe I never really gave it a chance. Maybe I had never had really good Mexican food. At any rate, I do enjoy it and have tried my hand at a few dishes at home.

This is a Martha recipe that caught my eye. One serving has about 330 calories. (Never mind that mound of cheddar cheese) I'm quite sure what Seth thought of these. He cleaned his plate, had seconds actually, but wasn't as vocal of his liking as he normally is. I thought these were really great, I loved the grit of the cornmeal. I served these with Mexican rice.


Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Source: Martha Stewart Everyday Food
Yield: 4 servings

1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed, if desired), minced
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled (2 whole, 1 minced)
Salt and black pepper
1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed

Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. In a blender, combine tomatoes in puree, jalapeno, half the onions, and 2 whole garlic cloves. Puree until smooth. Season with salt. Pour the sauce into a 9x13-inch baking dish and then set it aside.

In a medium bowl, combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, minced garlic, cumin and 3/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper.

Dividing evenly, stuff the poblano chile halves with the bean mixture and place in the baking dish on top of the sauce. Sprinkle the poblano chiles with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.

Bake until the poblanos are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until the sauce thickens slightly and cheese is golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: