Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Smores Bars

Do you know who Joy the Baker is? She is fabulous. I wish I could meet her. California...it is a long ways away.

I saw these on her blog and had been drooling over them for about a week. I was home alone one night (the most dangerous eating time for me) and needed something sweet (more like I was bored and felt like making something and then eating it) so I whipped these up. I took one look at the recipe...3 sticks of butter??!?!? Good Gawd! I halved this recipe and it worked out fantastic.

This one is definitely a keeper!

Smores Icebox Candy Bars
Source: Joy the Baker
Yield: 15 bars

3 sticks plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 14-ounce box graham crackers, lightly crumbled
2 big handfuls of mini marshmallows, plus a handful more for sprinkling on top

Line a 9×13-inch baking sheep with parchment paper, set aside.

In a large bowl, crumble the graham crackers into large chunks. Add two handfuls of mini marshmallows and set aside.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter together butter, cocoa, corn syrup and a pinch of salt. Stir and heat until smooth. Once melted, let chocolate mixture cool for 5 minutes.

Pour chocolate mixture over graham crackers and marshmallows. Stir so that all of the graham crackers are moistened by the chocolate mixture. Dump into lined baking pan, and a few more marshmallows on top and press down with the back of a spoon. Cover the top with another sheet of parchment and press with your fingers. Let cool on the counter for 30 minutes, then place in the fridge to solidify for a few hours or overnight. Cut into bars. Wrap individually and store in the fridge.

2 comments:

Kacey said...

Do you read my mind and make everything I want to??? You really should just come visit and bring them with you...it would solve multiple problems.

bldvdb said...

Kacey, you would love them! I ate the whole pan myself!