Friday, August 6, 2010

Barley and Bean Salad

This is an awesome versatile salad. You can use any kind of canned beans that you have on hand. I used black beans and cannelini beans. The original recipe called for kidney beans but I didn't have any. Chickpeas and pinto beans would be nice as well. I love beans.

I brought this salad to a BBQ at my father's house so that Seth would have a salad to eat that he liked. He doesn't like mayo based salads and my family does. I didn't anticipate my family liking this since it is barley and beans. They loved it!! My father went in for seconds!! I was so happy!

Barley and Bean Salad
Source: Erin's Food Files
Yield: 6 servings

1 cup pearl barley
2 cups water
2 cups of canned mixed beans
1 cup fresh corn cut off the cob, or canned corn kernels
1/2 cup red onions, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced

Dressing:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2/3 cup olive oil

In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Stir in barley and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until tender. If using a rice cooker, increase water to 2 1/2 cups. Allow barley to cool.

In a large bowl, combine the cooled barley, beans, corn, red onion and bell pepper. Mix well.

Combine remaining ingredients, whisking in olive oil. Pour over salad and toss well.

Serve at room temperature or chill in fridge for several hours.

If serving chilled, reserve some of the dressing to pour over salad just before serving.

No comments: