Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Veggie and Tofu Stack

The other night I asked Seth what he wanted for supper when he came home from work. He said, "Something light that I can eat a lot of." Erm. OK.

I get it. He wants to be able to get full and be satisfied but not be overloaded with heavy foods or fat (weekly cooking at 179 doesn't contain much fat...because of him.)

I decided on grilled veggies because you can eat a ton of them and not feel bad. Then tofu for protein. I found the recipe for this stack in my binder. Perfect. I made couscous for a carb. And then I made a little smashed caprese salad to put on a slice of sourdough bread. This was a fantastic meal!

Grilled Veggie and Tofu Stack
Source: Bon Appetit
Yield: 4 servings

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
1 12-ounce container extra-firm tofu, cut crosswise into 8 slices, drained on paper towels
1 zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthwise into four 4-inch-long slices
1 red bell pepper, rounded ends trimmed, seeded, cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
1 Japanese eggplant, trimmed, cut lengthwise into four 4-inch-long slices
4 3-inch-diameter portobello or shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 small head of radicchio, quartered through root end

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place vinegar and minced garlic in large bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Stir in sliced mint. Season marinade to taste with salt and pepper.

Working in batches, add tofu to marinade and turn to coat. Transfer tofu to baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, and radicchio to marinade in bowl and toss to coat.

Place zucchini, pepper, eggplant, and mushrooms on grill. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until charred and softened, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Place tofu and radicchio on grill. Cook until tofu is charred and radicchio is charred and wilted, about 2 minutes per side.

Stack tofu and vegetables on plates. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.

3 comments:

Kacey said...

Soo...I totally understand why Seth wants to eat all healthy and stuff. But after seeing all of these 'good for you foods' I totally want to cook you dinner. It will be filled with red meats, starches, butter, and cheese. Mmm... Cause really, a happy mommy makes for a happy baby. We could top it off with some cheesecake. Just an idea.

bldvdb said...

Ha! I think I would be so sick if I ate red meat!! During my first trimester I ate fried chicken fingers and was so sick after. I still get in lots of starches and chocolate!!

skr said...

I adore the idea of your blog and might I add, the profile photo is absolutely stunning.