Sunday, January 6, 2013

Granola Bars

I've made granola bars a few times before using a recipe from Alton Brown. I saw a four ingredient one on Pinterest that caught my attention. Four ingredients, they are all super healthy, and I'm short on time! This sounded like an awesome idea.

These taste really good but they are super crumbly. I only got about half of them out of the pan in one piece. Seth is going to use some of the crumbles for his oatmeal and I'm going to put some in my yogurt in the morning.

For mix-ins I used raisins on half (Seth's favorite) and cranberries and mini chocolate chips on the other half. I put coconut over the whole thing. Yum. Oh, and don't skimp on the chia seeds. They definitely add a nice texture. Also, I didn't have enough honey so I used half honey and half agave. Maybe that is why they were crumbly, maybe the honey sticks it together more? I dunno. Still yummy.


4 Ingredient Granola Bars
Source: Savoring the Thyme


4 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons chia seeds
3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
1/2 cup honey (or brown rice syrup or agave)


Mix-in ideas: raisins, dried cranberries (or any dried fruit), flax seed, coconut, chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips), wheat germ, sunflower seeds (or pumpkin)


Combine the oats and chia in a bowl (you could add nuts at this part too). Pour syrup/honey over oats and mix. Then pour the peanut butter over and mix that in. You can either fold in your mix-ins or sprinkle them on the top like I did. Bake at a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

No comments: