Monday, January 5, 2009

Eggless Egg Salad

People keep asking me why I made tofu egg salad and not just egg salad. I don't have a good answer. I wanted to try tofu egg salad since I've never had it and it isn't exactly a hot commodity in Augusta, Maine. Your sandwich options as a vegetarian are much more slim than those who like deli meat (believe me, I miss quality Italian meats). Sure you can pile your sandwich high with veggies and hummus and cheese. Sometimes I like it outside of the box!

I love that this looks like egg salad. The color comes thanks to turmeric. The flavor comes thanks to dry mustard. I put mine on multi-grain bread with lettuce. Tomorrow I'm just going to put a scoop of the tofu salad on a garden salad. I'm really looking forward to lunch tomorrow!



Creamy Tofu Salad
Gourmet Magazine
Serves 4

1 (14-oz) package firm tofu, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste


Finely mash tofu with a fork in a bowl, then let drain in a sieve set over another bowl, about 15 minutes (discard liquid).
While tofu drains, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, turmeric, and mustard in bowl, then stir in tofu, celery, chives, salt, and pepper.

No comments: