Monday, January 5, 2009

Roll Call!

I love rolls. I could eat them with every meal. Sometimes I make meals out of them, especially breakfast on a day I'm running late. I'm on a quest to find a certain roll. It's doughy, stretchy, soft. If you've ever been to the Governor's Restaurant in Maine then you know what I'm talking about. While this recipe wasn't it I must say these rolls are different. I made a cheddar pepper variation and the flavor of the cheddar was interesting, not in a bad way! These would stand out in a crowd due to their flavor and texture. I would definitely make these again trying out different variations.

The recipe in the book gives directions to mix by hand or in the mixer. I chose to mix mine by hand because I believe in rustic bread and feel that using my hands to make something so delicious is worth bragging about. Plus I love kneading bread and the key to making things is to make them with LOVE!

Butter Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls
The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge
Yield 16 rolls

1 cup half and half
6 T butter
3 2/3 cups flour
2 1/4 t. (1 packet) yeast
1/3 cup sugar
1 t. salt
3 egg yolks

Flavor variations
Poppy Seed - 1 T plus 1 t poppy seeds
Black Pepper and Cheese - 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar and 2 t course black pepper
Herb - 3/4 chopped mixed fresh herbs

In small sauce pan combine the half and half and the butter. Set over medium heat and heat stirring constantly until the butter melts and the liquid registers about 125 degrees.

Combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir.

Pour warm liquid over flour mixture and add egg yolks. Stir until a rough dough forms.

Knead dough on lightly floured surface (this is where I added the cheese and pepper). Knead until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Shape dough into ball, place in lightly greased bowl, cover, let rise until double which is about 45 minutes.

Grease 9x13 baking dish. Turn dough onto clean work surface. No need for extra flour here. Divide dough into 16 equal parts and roll into balls. Place in 4 rows of 3 in pan. Let rise about an hour.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. May or may not brush rolls with butter out of the oven.

2 comments:

CulinaryAssassin said...

If you do find a roll recipe like the ones they have at Governors, let me know!! :)

~Amber~ said...

They look and sound delicious! I also love kneading bread by hand, it is so satisfactory.