Saturday, September 26, 2009

Scallops and Raw Tomatoes

Not too long ago Seth and I went to the Liberal Cup for dinner. Wait a minute. Have I ever told you how I met my handsome husband??

Back in August of 2005 I was a lost girl. I didn't know what I was doing. I was partying, I was binging and purging (oh how skinny I was back then), I was leading a life that was going nowhere. I was at the Liberal Cup with some friends and this guy caught my eye. I mentioned him to my girlfriend and told her that he kept looking at me. So I waited for him to A. come talk to me or B. send me a drink. Nothing. Waited. Nothing. So I went home and didn't think much of it. THEN, I got a message on Myspace (remember when Myspace was cool?) from him that said, "Were you at the Liberal Cup on Saturday night?" I think I jumped out of my skin! So we went back and forth that way for a while...and well...the rest is history I guess. The handsome prince saved the princess. My life hasn't been the same since. He put me on my path and what a wonderful and glorious path it is.

How's that for ADD??

Anywho...we were at The Cup for dinner and he got the special. You know...the expensive one. Scallops with wild rice. It was so tasty...and simple. I knew I would be able to make that on my own! So I did. But better! I had set aside this recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine and had a ton of cherry tomatoes from the garden. One thing I didn't do...read the damn recipe! I didn't give myself enough time to let the tomatoes sit and absorb the garlic flavor. I gave them about 30 minutes and it was very good...but imagine if I had done it properly!

I splurged on the rice and bought a medium sized tub for nearly $7. So worth it though. I will definitely be making this dish again!

This photo kind of sucks. I wasn't going to blog this but then, when I bit into it I ran into the kitchen to get the camera. I knew I needed to share it with all of you. Scallops with Raw Tomato Sauce
Source: Rachael Ray Magazine
Yield: 4 servings

1 clove garlic, smashed
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, mint, thyme, dill, parsley or cilantro)
Salt and pepper
24 sea scallops. patted dry
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
4 lemon wedges

1.Rub the inside of a large bowl with the garlic. Add the garlic to the bowl along with the tomatoes and herbs. Season with salt and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Discard any large garlic pieces.

2.Preheat a grill to medium-high. Thread the scallops on skewers and brush with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until firm and slightly charred, about 8 minutes. Remove from the skewers and add to the tomato mixture.

3.Add the butter to the scallops mixture and gently toss until melted. Serve with the lemon wedges.

No comments: