Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

Do you ever get horned tomato worms? Those are nasty little buggers! They started attacking my crop so I picked any large tomatoes that I thought they may get to, including the green tomatoes. Of course the options are so varied as to what to do with ripe tomatoes. I had a whole bowl of green tomatoes. I saw that some people make cakes with them (eww) and some made a sauce. I decided to go with the standard, fried green tomatoes! Let's review why fried green tomatoes are so wonderful:

1. They are so easy to make.
2. They are so delicious to eat.
3. They remind me of the south. (I've never even been to the south!)
4. They are the perfect balance of soft tomato and crunchy outside.
5. They are the perfect balance of salty and tangy.

Fried Green Tomatoes
Source: ME!
Yield: As many as you want!!

Green tomatoes
Flour
Egg(s), beaten
Milk
Cornmeal
Salt
Vegetable oil for frying

Add a bit of milk to the beaten egg, for one egg I'd say maybe a tablespoon. Combine the cornmeal with a teaspoon or so of salt. I dip my tomato slices in flour followed by the egg mixture and then the cornmeal. Then fry them until golden in the hot oil. Sprinkle with more salt if you'd like...I do!

No comments: