Sunday, January 3, 2010

Apple Crisp

This is an old post. I had been sitting on it since the fall waiting to transcribe the recipe from my cookbook. A snowy night in front of the fire is the perfect time to transcribe recipes.

I made this apple crisp in the fall after picking up some apples with my family. Normally I would pick the apples myself but it was a cold and windy fall day and we had Catie (age 3) with us and purchasing already picked apples was definitely the way to go. I certainly make apple crisp every fall and love this recipe. I love the spice and oats in the topping. Pure comfort.


Apple Crisp
Source: Adapted from Better Homes and Garden
Yield: 6 servings

5-6 cups peeled and sliced apples
3 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butter

Toss together sugar and apples and place in baking dish. Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and spices. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

3 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

mmmm how warm and perfect for the winter! i as well enjoy making crisps, they are tasty and everyone loves them! cant ever go wrong with that!

NJenn said...

I'm going to try this recipe.
We just went out to the orchard and picked apples, so it's everything with apples these days. I'm an apple crisp lover.