Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Bestest Banana Bread

Sometimes I hear people asking for a banana bread recipe. I never listen to what people give for answers because I have one tried and true recipe that I've been using since I first learned to bake.

I have quite a few recipes in my arsenal that I've decided are "the one". I have stopped looking for a better recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Cupcakes
No Bake Cookies
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Black and White Cookies
Sugar Cookies
Gingersnaps

And I'm always trying to narrow down the field for others. I want to be sure that the recipe I am using is going to result in the BEST product. One that I can make when I'm 80.

This banana bread is moist, sweet, and a cinch to make. Sometimes when my sister comes up to visit she will use my father's rotten bananas to make a loaf. It lasts about 10 minutes.


Banana Bread
Source: Marge Standish
Yield: 1 wonderful loaf that you could eat in one sitting.

1/4 cup shortening
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour

Cream shortening, add salt. Add sugar and then eggs. Sift flour and soda. Alternately mix in bananas and flour mix to the egg mixture. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for one hour.

4 comments:

Jade280 said...

True story! It usually only lasts 10 minutes!!

TonyVDB said...

I don't have rotten bananas. I just save some for when Carrie comes up hoping she will make banana bread.

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious and moist-you're right, banana bread never lasts long! ;)

Unknown said...

I tried this, and it was the best banana bread I've ever made! It was perfectly moist and dense with a really great flavor. I cooked it at a slightly higher temperature and it only needed to bake for 30 minutes, so I'd just keep an eye on it.