Sunday, February 7, 2010

Rose's Vinaigrette

Martha. You may be a jail bird but I adore you. Yeah, you come off real snotty sometimes...but so do I. Plus I think your daughter is a riot. So, we're cool.

I like to make my own salad dressing. It allows me to control the amount of fat but more importantly, the amount of garlic. I believe I've mentioned how much I like garlic...yes? Well it is true. I like things garlicky and salty.

I had been making an ordinary dressing of EVOO, white wine vinegar, garlic, dry mustard, any herbs I had kicking around, and S&P. Then I saw this recipe in Martha's holiday issue. Very similar to what I was doing but it has a bit more flavor. I make this full recipe and keep it in the fridge. Yum.

Rose's Vinaigrette
Source: adapted from Martha Stewart
Yield: 1 cup

1 tablespoon minced shallot or garlic (sometimes I use both or just double the garlic)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon light-brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a clean jar, mash together the shallot, mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.

Pour in the vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Cover tightly and shake well to combine and emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.

No comments: