Friday, February 19, 2010

Focaccia

I'm sorry this photo kind of stinks. I'm really looking forward to the long sunny days when I can rely on natural light. Don't get me wrong...I love my external flash...but there is nothing like lush natural light.

I've been making this focaccia for years. My father used to work with this woman who baked a lot of bread and she sent this home with him one day. I think I was around 17 or 18 at the time. I had to have the recipe and I'm so glad she gave it up!

This bread is so flavorful. The salt, garlic and rosemary on the top is awesome. Oh, and of course the olive oil. I normally halve this recipe and we eat half of it right out of the oven, then the other half we use for sandwiches. Enjoy!!

**American Steel, Mean Streak** "I like you 'cause you're like me, We both act miserably, It must make us happy"


Focaccia

Source: Lady from my Dad's work from years ago. :)
Yield: 2 rounds

2 packages of active dry yeast
2 T sugar
4 T olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 t salt
2 cups warm water
5 1/2 cups flour

Topping
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T rosemary
1 T kosher salt

Dissolve the yeast in water. Add sugar, oils and salt. mix in 3 cups flour and whip until the dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl (about 10 minutes).

Mix in the remaining flour by hand or with a dough hook and knead the dough until it is smooth. Allow the dough to rise twice right in the bowl and punch down after each rising.

Oil 2 baking sheet or use baking stone. Divide dough between the two pans. Using your fingers, press the dough out to the edges of the pans. Cover and allow to rise for about 30 minutes and brush with the crushed garlic mixed with the oil for the topping. Sprinkle with the rosemary and salt. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Repeat the brushing if needed (I usually do).

No comments: