Friday, August 12, 2011

Baby Food! Carrots (and mango and apple)

I think the worst part of making carrots is peeling the damn things. It takes for.ever. I would use the baby carrots but they don't have the organic kind where I shop.

I simply steamed these and then pureed them with a touch of water. DO NOT use the water that you used to steam the carrots. Something about nitrates.


I freeze almost all of the food I make. I bought a silicone tray and it tore after a few uses. I find that the ice cube tray works the best. One cube is about an ounce. After I freeze the food I pop out the cubes and transfer them to a marked heavy duty ziplock bag. I find that by freezing single ingredients I can be more creative. Carrots with apples. Carrots with parsnips. Carrots with mango. Carrots with all three.

You can also make a carrot, mango, apple puree all in one. Just roast the peeled chopped carrots, cored and halved apples (you can leave the peel on) and chunks of mango. I roast at 350* until the carrots were tender. Then transfer that to the blender. You may need to add a touch of water to thin it out.

No comments: