Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Old Fashion Brownies

I love brownies. I love trying different brownie recipes to see how they come out and see how they differ from each other. I've tried recipes from King Arthur, Bakers, Joy the Baker, Dorie Greenspan, and various blogs I've happened upon.

I found this recipe on a sheet of paper tucked into one of my mother's cookbooks. I don't know how old it is, probably about 15 years old. I have no idea where it came from but I'm happy I found it and tried it. I call these "old fashioned" because they are so mild. They aren't super fudgy and chocolate. They aren't overly sweet. Just. Mild. That is the best way I can describe them. I really enjoyed these and I will certainly make these again.

Brownies
Source: My momma!
Yield: 12-24 depending on how big you cut them

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350*. Grease 9x13 in. pan. Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat or in microwave. In a mixing bowl combine the melted chocolate and butter with the sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add the flour and nuts and stir until well blended. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 35 minutes or until set. Cool and then cut.

No comments: